Thursday, November 1, 2007

Dios de los Muertos


Happy Day of the Dead!

File this one under "found art."

It's a paper banner I bought a few years ago in Olvera Street, one of my favorite places in LA. When I was teeny tiny, my aunt, Gramma, mom, sis and I used to take the train from Orange County to Union Station and spend a summer day on miniature Olvera Street buying paper flowers. We could have driven, but taking the train made it a special excursion, so it holds a special place in my heart.

One of the last times I was there was one morning with my dad. I bought a string of paper banners, flowers and a churro. OK, two churros. We were starting our public transportation tour of Los Angeles, the goal of which was to get to LACMA, and we finally did--after car, light rail, new metro, bus and a half mile walk down Wilshire.

No comments: